Sunday, December 2, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree!

My Name is Elaine and I'm A Christmas-aholic. 

I just love Christmas!  I don't get too wrapped up in the religious connotations of it, but I just love the season itself.  It's just after autumn which is a another favorite of mine and it brings a chance to "deck the halls" with some pretty decorations and wonderful music.  Of course there is the Christmas tree to think of too.  Real or artificial? Large or small?  Live cut or lot?   So many decisions even before you  buy the tree!  I have to admit that I have not had a tree for several years.  WHAT?  A Christmas junkie like me without a tree you ask?  Well, I did not want to have a cut tree because I don't like killing the tree and I don't like picking up the needles and I am always afraid of fire with a dying tree in the house.  So, I just decorated without a tree.  This year, thanks to one of my coworkers and her Mom, (Thanks Cody and Victoria!), I have a beautiful artificial tree in the living room.  Please let me share the setting up of said tree. 

It started by bringing it into the house.  The tree is stored and a LARGE green bag and it took Dad and I both to carry it into the house.  It must have looked like we were carrying a body in a bag, but no one called the police on us so I guess we are OK for now.  Once inside the pieces of the tree were removed and assembled with lots of "ZACH MOVE!" and "ROY GET OUT OF THERE"!   With the tree assembled and moved into its spot, the decorating began!  Dad had a cold and had not been feeling well all week so I figured he would sit in his recliner and watch.  NOPE. He helped put the whole thing together and enjoyed himself.  First came the lights, which proceeded to snarl up and tangle each time they were passed around the tree.  How can lights tangle from one side of the tree to the other?????  Once the lights were on, then it was time for the ornaments.  I had to buy all new ornaments since I had given away or sold all of my old ones.  Trying to get into the packages was a bit like cracking open a safe.  Good Grief who comes up with these things?????  After finally opening the bulbs and snowflakes, I looked for the hangers.  I KNOW I bought two packages but could only find one.  We went through the first package and then I resorted to paperclips for the remainder.   All the ornaments on the tree and then the garland.  TA DA!  A Christmas tree! Of course it was after it was all done that I found the second pack of hangers.  SIGH.
 
Then it was time to introduce the cats to the tree.  Tucker came in first and  he just sniffed and sat down.  Since he is completely blind the ornaments and lights don't attract him.
 
Then came Roy and Gracie.  Gracie was first and learned her lesson quickly.  You see, Dad and I knew that Roy and Gracie would get excited about the tree so part of our pre-planning was to have a squirt bottle filled with water set up close by so that any attempt at ornament batting would be promptly dampened!! Gracie was first up and that's why you don't see her here.  Roy was next and this was his first, and last, attempt at ornament baseball.
 

 
Chloe looked at the tree, looked at us and said, "you people are idiots", flicked her tail and walked away.  Zach just watched all the chaos and said, "whatever makes YOU happy, makes me happy"  typical Lab! :-) 

 
Once the tree was up it was time to admire it.  In my house that means we get out the camera and shoot the heck out of it!  So, besides the shots you see above, Dad got some "abstracts" that are fun too!
 



 As you can see, a Christmas tree is loads of fun.  I had forgotten just how pretty it is to have one in the house.  I am already planning for next year.  Get out of my way at the after Christmas ornament sale!   Merry Christmas to everyone and have the best New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment