Monday, December 10, 2012

Family Feud

I have 4 cats.  Each has a very distinct purrsonality.  Chloe is the Queen.  She is royalty and is not afraid to tell you about it.  She reminds me of Dame Maggie Smith, as she so elegantly says, "HONESTLY" and makes the receiver of the comment feel about 1" tall.  Tucker is the hero.  He is blind but it never gets him down and he never lets it stop him from taking that leap of faith off of the furniture. No matter how he lands, he picks himself up and moves on.  Gracie is very timid and shy and reminds me of a little girl swaying back and forth twirling her pigtails.   Then there is Roy.
Roy is ALL boy and a rough houser.  He loves to be petted but he is just as likely to swat your hand as to kiss it. 
Dad and Roy have not been the best of friends.  Dad doesn't like how Roy will jump on Gracie while playing and rough her up.  Dad always believed that Roy was the instigator, but those of us who own cats know better!  Roy never helped his position with Dad because he delights in "poking" Dad both figuratively and literally.

Dad and I will sit on the couch in the basement in the evening and eat dinner and watch TV.  Roy decided that he liked to lay on the back of the couch and nap.  This was not a problem until Roy figured out that if he bothered Dad, I would get up and feed him to make him stop.  Roy would position himself behind Dads head and smack Dad with his paw.  This pissed Dad off and he would humph and move over.  This went on for several days with Roy smacking Dad on the head and Dad getting up in a huff and either moving to another chair, tossing Roy on the floor, or Dad leaning forward on the edge of the couch so that Roy couldn't reach him.  It culminated in an episode where Roy gleefully positioned himself so that his outstretched paws were on either side of Dads head and he batted Dad back and forth like a ping pong ball.  Dad was infuriated and I was no help as I had my hand over my mouth trying not to laugh.  I completely lost it when Dad turned to me and said, "It's NOT FUNNY!  He's doing it on purpose!!!!!"  Tears rolled down my face and I gasped for breath as I convulsed in laughter.  All I could think of was those millions of kids out there screaming, "HE'S TOUCHING ME!!!"
Once I composed myself, I placed two pillows on the back of the couch so that Roy could not get behind Dad's head and armed Dad with a squirt bottle of water and instructions to "shoot" Roy if he poked at Dad.  This worked well until last night.

While sitting on the couch and enjoying TV, Roy jumped on the couch and assumed his normal position for a nap.  Neither Dad nor I thought anything about it and paid no attention to Roy.  All of a sudden, a pillow comes rolling over Dad's head and lands in his lap.  We both turned around and there was Roy in all his glory with a HUGE grin on his face, laying right behind Dad's head.  Dad and I nearly fell off the couch laughing. It was such a deliberate act and so righteously naughty that we just had to bow to the master and giggle.
Obviously, this is not going to lead to Dad adoring Roy or to letting him bop Dads head, but it did lead to a bit of a truce and Dad had to admit that Roy does have a great sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment