Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

How often have we heard this phrase? I seem to find a need of a reminder now and again.  I was looking out the window of my living room and from there I could see this lovely color of the leaves as they wrapped themselves around a tree trunk.  I had to get the camera and take some photos to try to capture a glimpse of their beauty. I knew that this was Poison Oak and I knew it is an invasive and irritating plant, and yet, it still holds beauty in the changing colors of the leaves.  It is the first to start shouting that fall is coming.  It turns a riot of colors from reds, to russet, to gold. How many of us just walk by something because "it holds no value" or it is "just a weed" or "that family is just trash".  I have been guilty of doing this in one way or another throughout my life.  I find that with age, I am trying to temper this snap judgement and to enjoy what I see, do and experience.  I think that as we age, we realize how short and finite our time here is.  We need to "stop and smell the roses" and also to acknowledge the beauty in a weed, or a person, even if we don't like everything about them.  We can appreciate at least one little thing in everything.  Maybe by changing our preception we can encourage others to change theirs too.  Wouldn't that be a beautiful world to live in?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. A good read for me prior to gaining 253 little middle schoolers on Tuesday. And, a gorgeous picture to boot!! Much love to you guys from all of us. X O

    ReplyDelete